Product Liability Cases
The personal injury lawyers at Basch & Keegan in Kingston, NY represent consumers, workers, patients, children, and others harmed by dangerous and defective products sold in the marketplace and used in homes, offices, work-sites, schools, and more. We’re trial lawyers known for obtaining excellent results for victims of serious injuries and wrongful death. We have the experience and know-how when it comes to product liability lawsuits.
Defective Products Can Cause Catastrophic Injuries and Even Death
Product liability is the area of personal injury law that holds manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, and retailers responsible for any consumer injuries caused by dangerous and defective products. There are three major types of product liability claims:
- Design defect claims – When a product’s design is inherently dangerous or useless – no matter how it is manufactured – there is a design defect.
- Manufacturing defect claims – When a product is made unsafely – perhaps due to poor workmanship or the use of sub-par materials – there is a manufacturing defect.
- Marketing defect claims – When a manufacturer fails to warn consumers of non-obvious risks associated with the use (or foreseeable misuse) of a product, there is a marketing defect.
Sometimes products are recalled (either by the manufacturer or the federal government) when a potentially dangerous defect is discovered. Unfortunately, recalls often happen only after people have suffered serious injury.
Be Aware of Potentially Dangerous Products in the Marketplace
Virtually any product can give rise to a product liability lawsuit if it’s not designed, manufactured, and sold with consumer safety in mind. Here are some of the unfortunately common types of product liability cases:
- Dangerous or defective automotive components – such as airbags, ignition switches, seat-belts, and braking systems
- Dangerous building and construction materials
- Dangerous or defective medical equipment
- Dangerous prescription and over-the-counter drugs
- Inadequate drug warning labels
- Contaminated foods and beverages
- Dangerous cosmetics and household chemicals
- Dangerous or defective appliances – such as water heaters and washing machines
- Dangerously flammable clothing
- Dangerous or defective children’s products – including car seats, formulas, and toys
At Basch & Keegan, we stand by the principle that most accidents should never happen. This is especially true in product liability cases. Too often, manufacturers cut corners to cut costs, and consumers pay the price—not with their wallets, but with their health.
If you or someone you love has been injured or harmed by a dangerously defective product, please contact Basch & Keegan today for a free consultation to discuss your options for recovery. We’re prepared to go up against large manufacturing companies and their insurers to get you the results you deserve.