REPRESENTING VICTIMS OF PEDESTRIAN AND BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
Basch & Keegan represent victims of pedestrian and bicycle accidents in personal injury claims arising from accidents with cars, trucks, and other vehicles. We also have experience handling wrongful death actions on behalf of family members who have lost a loved one in a tragic accident.
Pedestrian Deaths Account for 12% of All Traffic Fatalities
Drivers are required to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in most situations. However, drivers often fail to watch for pedestrians at intersections and when turning onto another street. Speeding is also a major cause of pedestrian accidents – as fast speeds make it more difficult for drivers to see pedestrians and to stop in time to avoid an accident. Other causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Drunk driving
- Drivers rolling through stop signs
- Drivers making unsafe U-turns
- Poorly timed crosswalk signals
- Poor sidewalk conditions
- Trees, posts, and other obstructions
- Street repair and construction sites
In many cases, pedestrian accidents should never have happened. We work to hold distracted and irresponsible drivers accountable for their behavior behind the wheel.
Bicycle Accidents Are Often Caused by Inattentive Drivers
Bicyclists and automobile drivers follow the same rules and have the same responsibilities with regard to obeying traffic laws and taking general safety precautions. As many bike riders know, however, motorists often fail to see them or fail to respect their right to share the road. Common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Car drivers making unsafe left or right turns
- Drivers misjudging the space needed to pass a bicycle
- Failure to yield to a bicyclist at an intersection or crosswalk
- Drivers opening car doors as a bicyclist passes (getting “doored”)
- General distracted driving, such as cell phone use or texting
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Poor road conditions, such as potholes and worn paint on bike lanes
- Defective equipment, including helmets and bike components
- Negligent or defective bike repair
When bicyclists are involved in an accident, injuries tend to be severe, as bike riders have very little to protect them when they are hit by a car or other larger vehicle. Victims may suffer from injuries to the head or neck, fractured or dislocated bones, or even lost use of a limb.
Don’t wait. Call us NOW!
We fight for victims of pedestrian and bicycle accidents. If you or someone you love has been injured in a pedestrian or bicycle accident in Greene, Dutchess, Ulster, or any surrounding county, contact Basch & Keegan today for a free initial consultation. We get proven results for our clients.