KINGSTON PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS FOR LADDER FALLS AT CONSTRUCTION SITES
Ladder falls occur frequently at construction sites – and they can result in serious injuries. At Basch & Keegan, we have significant experience representing injured construction workers in the Hudson Valley – and more than once we’ve found that a ladder accident should never have happened. The equipment is often old, defective, or used improperly.
Ladders Cause Numerous Injuries for Construction Workers
Ladders are one of the most common and unassuming pieces of equipment found on construction sites. However, many serious accidents occur when workers are using ladders. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), among construction workers, an estimated 81% of fall injuries treated in U.S. emergency rooms involve falling off a ladder. Short of death, a victim may suffer head and back injuries that require a lifetime of treatment.
A ladder can tip, slip, slide, or break if it’s old or under strain – or even catapult a person through the air. Factors causing serious ladder accidents include:
- Leaning ladders against an unstable supporting surface
- Using a ladder on a slippery surface
- Failing to ensure ladders have slip resistant feet
- Using the wrong sized ladder for a job
- Propping ladders on top of another object to reach a greater height
- Failing to regularly inspect ladders for defects
- Supplying workers with improperly maintained or old ladders
- Failing to provide fall protection, such as spotters, restraints, and barricades
- Requiring works to carry too much material while climbing ladders
- Failing to properly train workers on ladder safety
- Using metal ladders around electricity
Ladder falls also occur when people, equipment, or vehicles collide with ladders and throw them off-balance.
Third-Parties May be Liable for Ladder-Related Injuries
Ladder falls may give rise to third-party personal injury claims when property owners, contractors, subcontractors, ladder manufacturers, suppliers, or any other party causes or contributes to an accident. For example: if a ladder’s locking system is defective, the ladder manufacturer may be held accountable for injuries resulting from a fall. We’ll investigate to identify all potentially liable parties with the goal of making sure you receive maximum compensation for your present and future injuries.
Don’t wait. Call us NOW!
If you or a loved one has been injured as the result of a ladder fall at a construction site, please contact the personal injury lawyers at Basch & Keegan in Kingston, NY. Your consultation is free, and we’ll come to your home or hospital room if you’re recovering from an injury and can’t make it to our Kingston office.