Kingston Dental Malpractice Attorneys
Basch & Keegan is an injury-only law firm serving Greene, Dutchess, and Ulster, and surrounding counties. We handle complex cases involving inappropriate and harmful medical treatment – including claims against dentists and other oral health care professionals. If you or a loved one is the victim of dental malpractice, we can help!
Dentists and dental hygienists must maintain an appropriate level of care.
Like other medical professionals, dentists and dental hygienists are required to maintain a certain standard of care in the treatment of patients – whether they are performing a simple cleaning or oral surgery. When these professionals fail to meet this standard of care, they may be liable for dental malpractice. Dental malpractice may involve:
- Failure to diagnose, recognize, or discover major conditions such as periodontal disease and oral cancer
- Failure to provide advice or guidance related to a diagnosed dental issue
- Incorrect diagnosis leading to incorrect treatment
- Unnecessary injuries to the teeth, gums, mouth, face, or jaw occurring during an operation
- Injury to the nerves of the tongue, lips, and/or jaw
- Improper administration of anesthesia
- Injury to the teeth or gums caused by a faulty bridge, crown, or root canal
- Injury to the jaw, including temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ)
- Infection resulting from the use of improperly sterilized dental equipment or contaminated products
- Unnecessary delay in diagnosing or treating an issue
- Intentional misconduct on the part of a dentist or dental hygienist
- Unlicensed dentists practicing illegally
To prove a claim for dental malpractice, you must show that the dentist (or hygienist) either unintentionally failed to provide the standard of care that any other dentist would have performed, or they intentionally carried out an act that no other reasonable oral health care provider would have committed in the same situation.
Dentists cannot act without your consent.
Along with providing an appropriate standard of care, your dentist is not to provide any additional services that are beyond your informed consent. Likewise, any treatment provided cannot exceed the consent you have already given. If you’ve received dental services or treatment that you did not approve beforehand, you may have grounds for a dental malpractice claim.
If you believe that you or a loved one has been the victim of dental malpractice, do not hesitate to contact Basch & Keegan for a free initial consultation. We’ll meet at a time that is convenient for you – including evenings and weekends – and we can come to your home or hospital room if necessary.